By S. MacArthur
Read Online or Download Gothic Science Fiction: 1818 to the Present (Palgrave Gothic) PDF
Similar literary gothic & romantic criticism books
The severe historical past gathers jointly a wide physique of serious assets on significant figures in literature. every one quantity provides modern responses to a writer's paintings, allowing scholars and researchers to learn for themselves, for instance, reviews on early performances of Shakespeare's performs, or reactions to the 1st booklet of Jane Austen's novels.
Top referred to as the writer of such works as King Solomon's Mines and she or he, H. Rider Haggard used to be essentially the most well known writers of the late-Victorian period, and his works remain influential this present day. To a wide measure, his novels are pleasing due to his picture of Africa, and an figuring out of his illustration of the African panorama is crucial to a serious analyzing of his works.
In her examine of the hole of the English Lake District to mass tourism, Saeko Yoshikawa examines William Wordsworth’s position within the upward push and improvement of the sector as a favored vacation spot. For the center periods on vacation, guidebooks not just provided useful details, yet additionally they supplied a clean cause and a brand new version of appreciation via associating writers with areas.
Arguing opposed to the serious regular that Evelyn Waugh’s post-war fiction represents a decline in his powers as a author, D. Marcel DeCoste bargains specified analyses of Waugh's significant works from Brideshead Revisited to Unconditional quit. instead of representing an ill-advised departure from his precise calling as an iconoclastic satirist, DeCoste indicates, those novels shape a cohesive, crafty entire accurately as they discover the level to which the writer’s and the Catholic’s vocations can coincide.
- The Literature of Terror: Volume 1: The Gothic Tradition: 001
- Open Graves, Open Minds: Representations of vampires and the Undead from the Enlightenment to the present day
- Seeing Suffering in Women's Literature of the Romantic Era
- Popular Medievalism in Romantic-Era Britain (Nineteenth-Century Major Lives and Letters)
- The Arthur of Medieval Latin Literature: The Development and Dissemination of the Arthurian Legend in Medieval Latin (Arthurian Literature in the Middle Ages)
- Poetics of Character: Transatlantic Encounters 1700–1900 (Cambridge Studies in Romanticism)
Extra resources for Gothic Science Fiction: 1818 to the Present (Palgrave Gothic)
Gothic Science Fiction: 1818 to the Present (Palgrave Gothic) by S. MacArthur