By Elaine M. McGirr
- the rake and the fop
- the rustic gentleman
- the great woman
- the coquette and the prude
- the rustic maid and town lady
- the Catholic, the Protestant and the British Other.
Each bankruptcy explores how a character's value and function adjustments over the century, illustrating and explaining radical shifts in style, ideology and magnificence. additionally that includes illustrations, a Chronology and a necessary Bibliography and additional studying part, this crucial advisor will supply scholars with the mandatory heritage to appreciate the period's literature and to embark on additional study.
Read Online or Download Eighteenth-Century Characters: A Guide to the Literature of the Age PDF
Similar literary gothic & romantic criticism books
The severe background gathers jointly a wide physique of serious resources on significant figures in literature. each one quantity offers modern responses to a writer's paintings, allowing scholars and researchers to learn for themselves, for instance, reviews on early performances of Shakespeare's performs, or reactions to the 1st e-book of Jane Austen's novels.
Most sensible often called the writer of such works as King Solomon's Mines and she or he, H. Rider Haggard was once probably the most well known writers of the late-Victorian period, and his works stay influential this present day. To a wide measure, his novels are fascinating as a result of his picture of Africa, and an knowing of his illustration of the African panorama is vital to a severe interpreting of his works.
In her examine of the hole of the English Lake District to mass tourism, Saeko Yoshikawa examines William Wordsworth’s function within the upward push and improvement of the sector as a favored vacation spot. For the center periods on vacation, guidebooks not just provided sensible details, yet in addition they supplied a clean purpose and a brand new version of appreciation by means of associating writers with locations.
Arguing opposed to the serious general that Evelyn Waugh’s post-war fiction represents a decline in his powers as a author, D. Marcel DeCoste bargains precise analyses of Waugh's significant works from Brideshead Revisited to Unconditional hand over. instead of representing an ill-advised departure from his precise calling as an iconoclastic satirist, DeCoste indicates, those novels shape a cohesive, crafty entire accurately as they discover the level to which the writer’s and the Catholic’s vocations can coincide.
- The Romanticism of Contemporary Theory: Institution, Aesthetics, Nihilism (Studies in European Cultural Transition)
- Romanticism and Philosophy: Thinking with Literature (Routledge Studies in Romanticism)
- Transformations of Electricity in Nineteenth-Century Literature and Science
- Romanticism, Economics and the Question of 'Culture'
- Neue Ansichten: The Reception of Romanticism in the Literature of the GDR (GDR Monitor Special Series, Vol. 6) (Gdr Monitor Special Series, Vol 6)
- Perceval and Gawain in Dark Mirrors: Reflection and Reflexivity in Chrétien de Troyes’s Conte del Graal
Additional resources for Eighteenth-Century Characters: A Guide to the Literature of the Age
Eighteenth-Century Characters: A Guide to the Literature of the Age by Elaine M. McGirr