By Charles L. Crow
- Revised and elevated to include feedback from twelve years of use in lots of countries
- An vital textual content for college students of the increasing box of Gothic studies
- Strong illustration of lady Gothic, desolate tract Gothic, the Gothic of race, and the legacy of Salem witchcraft
- Edited via a founding member of the foreign Gothic Association
Read or Download American Gothic: An Anthology from Salem Witchcraft to H. P. Lovecraft (Blackwell Anthologies) PDF
Similar literary gothic & romantic criticism books
The severe historical past gathers jointly a wide physique of serious resources on significant figures in literature. each one quantity provides modern responses to a writer's paintings, permitting scholars and researchers to learn for themselves, for instance, reviews on early performances of Shakespeare's performs, or reactions to the 1st ebook of Jane Austen's novels.
Top often called the writer of such works as King Solomon's Mines and she or he, H. Rider Haggard used to be some of the most renowned writers of the late-Victorian period, and his works stay influential this present day. To a wide measure, his novels are eye-catching as a result of his photograph of Africa, and an figuring out of his illustration of the African panorama is principal to a severe studying of his works.
In her learn of the outlet of the English Lake District to mass tourism, Saeko Yoshikawa examines William Wordsworth’s position within the upward thrust and improvement of the zone as a favored vacation spot. For the center sessions on vacation, guidebooks not just provided useful details, yet additionally they supplied a clean cause and a brand new version of appreciation via associating writers with locations.
Arguing opposed to the severe typical that Evelyn Waugh’s post-war fiction represents a decline in his powers as a author, D. Marcel DeCoste bargains targeted analyses of Waugh's significant works from Brideshead Revisited to Unconditional give up. instead of representing an ill-advised departure from his actual calling as an iconoclastic satirist, DeCoste indicates, those novels shape a cohesive, crafty entire accurately as they discover the level to which the writer’s and the Catholic’s vocations can coincide.
- Scotland and the Borders of Romanticism
- The Romance of Tristran by Beroul and Beroul II: Student Edition and English Translation
- Popular Medievalism in Romantic-Era Britain (Nineteenth-Century Major Lives and Letters)
- Scare Tactics: Supernatural Fiction by American Women, With a new Preface
Extra info for American Gothic: An Anthology from Salem Witchcraft to H. P. Lovecraft (Blackwell Anthologies)
American Gothic: An Anthology from Salem Witchcraft to H. P. Lovecraft (Blackwell Anthologies) by Charles L. Crow