By David Punter
The completely extended and up-to-date New spouse to the Gothic, provides a sequence of stimulating insights into Gothic writing, its historical past and family tree. The addition of 12 new essays and a piece on ‘Global Gothic’ displays the course Gothic feedback has taken over the past decade.
- Many of the unique essays were revised to mirror present debates
- Offers entire insurance of feedback of the Gothic and of many of the theoretical ways it has encouraged and spawned
- Features very important and unique essays by way of best students within the field
- The editor is well known because the founding father of sleek feedback of the Gothic
Read or Download A New Companion to The Gothic (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary gothic & romantic criticism books
The severe historical past gathers jointly a wide physique of severe assets on significant figures in literature. every one quantity offers modern responses to a writer's paintings, permitting scholars and researchers to learn for themselves, for instance, reviews on early performances of Shakespeare's performs, or reactions to the 1st ebook of Jane Austen's novels.
Top often called the writer of such works as King Solomon's Mines and she or he, H. Rider Haggard used to be some of the most renowned writers of the late-Victorian period, and his works stay influential this day. To a wide measure, his novels are fascinating due to his snapshot of Africa, and an figuring out of his illustration of the African panorama is valuable to a severe analyzing of his works.
In her learn of the hole of the English Lake District to mass tourism, Saeko Yoshikawa examines William Wordsworth’s position within the upward thrust and improvement of the zone as a well-liked vacation spot. For the center sessions on vacation, guidebooks not just provided useful info, yet in addition they supplied a clean rationale and a brand new version of appreciation by way of associating writers with locations.
Arguing opposed to the serious typical that Evelyn Waugh’s post-war fiction represents a decline in his powers as a author, D. Marcel DeCoste deals special analyses of Waugh's significant works from Brideshead Revisited to Unconditional quit. instead of representing an ill-advised departure from his real calling as an iconoclastic satirist, DeCoste indicates, those novels shape a cohesive, crafty entire accurately as they discover the level to which the writer’s and the Catholic’s vocations can coincide.
- Religion, Toleration, and British Writing, 1790–1830 (Cambridge Studies in Romanticism)
- Pre-Raphaelite Masculinities: Constructions of Masculinity in Art and Literature (The Nineteenth Century Series)
- Poetry and the Romantic Musical Aesthetic
- Shelley and the Revolution in Taste: The Body and the Natural World (Cambridge Studies in Romanticism)
- Dante and Italy in British Romanticism (Nineteenth-Century Major Lives and Letters)
- Monstrous media/spectral subjects: Imaging Gothic from the nineteenth century to the present (International Gothic MUP)
Extra info for A New Companion to The Gothic (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A New Companion to The Gothic (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by David Punter